Team, currently if i need to add any new user-code...
# deployment-kubernetes
s
Team, currently if i need to add any new user-code-deployment, i am updating both the values.yaml & workspace.yaml and applying helm upgrade (dagster==0.14.15). Due to which both the dagster daemon, dagit are restarting (adding init containers for user-code lookup). So Is there any way i can segregate dagster daemon/ dagit from user-code deployment using helm? So that my already triggered user-code deployment using graphql queries will not fail (It should not affect already running user-code)?
d
Hi Sundara - this isn’t currently possible but is something we’d like to improve in the future. There’s a feature request here that tracks a potential solution that would enable this: https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/issues/6295
s
So daniel, is it mandatory to update both the dagster & user-code deployment ?
As per this documentation, it looks like it is possible to segregate (https://docs.dagster.io/deployment/guides/kubernetes/customizing-your-deployment#separately-deploying-dagster-infrastructure-and-user-code). Am i missing anything?
d
When you add a new location then both charts need to be updated, but when a location is updated then you only need to update the user code chart
s
So I need to updated both the charts even if i update already existing repo. Is the statement correct?
d
No, when you update an existing location then you only need to update the user code chart
It’s when you add or remove a user code deployment that you need to update both charts
s
Okay. Just to for my understanding how does the dagster daemon pick up the existing location change (only user code deployment update) without the helm upgrade?
d
The code runs in a separate service that’s controlled by the user code helm chart and accessed by the daemon over a gRPC interface
s
Okay. So whether we add / remove the user-code we need to add the init contianer in dagster daemon & dagit. so it can access the code using grpc. As currently there is no service discovery currently available in dagster daemon & dagit.
👍 1
d
There’s a configmap that needs to be updated - but generally that’s correct