so I am a noob at this and am trying to get the da...
# ask-community
m
so I am a noob at this and am trying to get the dagster-daemon and dagit to work correctly. I have set DAGSTER_HOME and issued the dagster-daemon run, but in dagit it show no daemons running. the docs do not seem very helpful as they all appear to be to run a specific file. Maybe I am not getting how the scheduler and sensors are supposed to work, but wi would think they would always be running and firing off based on schedules and sensor events?
s
Have you set the definitions in your code: https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/definitions#definitions
d
Hey Mike - my best guess here would be that DAGSTER_HOME isn't the same value in dagit and the daemon - how did you set the environment variable, are you sure that the way that you set it would apply to both processes?
m
I did the EXPORT DAGSTER_HOME=path_to_dagster
d
Did you do that for both dagit and the daemon?
m
I have to admit, I am growing increasingly frustrated trying to follow the examples. I create a virtual environment and set the DAGSTER_HOME, now it sounds like I have to launch the commands with that . is there no way to set it up so that the daemon is running in the background, for schedules, snesors, and launch dagit as a service so that it is always runngin as well?
as a noob to this and trying to just get a proof of concept up and running, it is not the easiest.
thanks for your assistance, I will try a few things and see if i can get it to work somehow
d
I'd like us to add a
dagster start
command that starts both of these services for you and doesn't require you to think about environment variables at all - this post is a nice reminder that we should get that over the finish line
❤️ 1
m
that would be a great solution