Hi team! I'd like to say that I really like the ne...
# ask-community
m
Hi team! I'd like to say that I really like the new assets-related features! That's amazing! Thanks you for your great job! I'm in process of migration from ops to assets and some interesting question appeared: were there any attempts to represent DB schema migrations as versioned assets? I'm thinking about Alembic, but it seems too complex from the first look.
s
Hi Mykola - this is something that I've thought about a little bit, but I haven't seen people use Dagster for it. Do you have an idea of what functionality you'd be looking for in particular?
m
The usecase is very simple and common: • destination asset is a partitioned table in relational db • at a very beginning the table may not be created, so I'd like depend on an asset which creates the table for me (as its materialization) • at some point in time you may need to add some field/indexes to the table, so I'd like to migration happen due to asset "code version" change, where the version may be something like Alembic migration version hash (but as I said I'm not sure about the Alembic itself, i'm not an expert in it) This is not my idea btw. I've met it somewhere in Dagster documentation.
s
Got it - that makes sense. Would you want to backfill the values in that column somehow? Or just have the column there for when you're inserting new data?
m
It may be that way or another.