Hi all, I'm trying to build a workflow where I com...
# ask-community
m
Hi all, I'm trying to build a workflow where I combine base layers in a tree like fashion. I also want to see my results every day. So imagine that I have a job get_data which is multi partitioned by a static partition (A1,A2,A3,B1,B2 etc.) and a dailyPartition. The next step in the graph would be a combine_data asset which would also be multi partitioned by a static partition (A,B,...) and dailyPartition. The goal of the combine_data job is to combine A1 with A2 and A3, B1 with B2, etc. Is there currently support for that type of partitioning mapping? Been having trouble using a MultiPartitionMapping with a StaticPartitionMapping (for the static partitions) and an IdentityPartition (for the dates)
c
So it sounds like there’s really almost a 3 dimensional partition here with rollup into two dimensions… do you actually care about A1, A2, … A_n or is that just used to get parallelism when processing? Bc if so I’m wondering if you could just use a dynamic graph-backed asset to achieve said parallelism, and avoid the need for the somewhat nasty partition mapping between two sets of static partitions (which I’m reasonably sure we don’t support)
m
Thanks for the reply Chris. I have all of these dependencies sketched out in a json config file - I do care about the individual data in a1, a2, etc. I've implemented a factory function which loads the config and uses the
ins
field to explicitly define the tree. I actually find this to be a lot cleaner than the way I was trying with partitions, since now my only partition is date and I can bundle other data (like tags) in the config which is more human readable.
c
makes sense - glad it’s working for you